12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1⁄2cups granulated sugar
3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 1⁄2teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1⁄4cups sour cream
2 1⁄2cups cake flour (not self-rising)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2teaspoon kosher salt
For the streusel
1⁄4cup light brown sugar, packed
1⁄2cup all-purpose flour
1 1⁄2teaspoons ground cinnamon
1⁄4teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3⁄4cup chopped pecans (optional)
For the glaze
1⁄2cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350. Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined.
- Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.
- For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble.
- Mix in the pecans, if desired.
- Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel.
- Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the cake, streusel-side up, onto a serving plate.
- Whisk the confectioners' sugar and maple syrup together, adding a few drops of water if necessary, to make the glaze runny. Drizzle as much as you like over the cake with a fork or spoon.