In keeping with the Fall feelings swirling around us, it felt like a good time to bring back some old favorites of mine: harvest breads. This is still the time of year where the mom in us juuuust might still have a sliver of good intentions, and send our children off in the mornings with a hearty, homemade breakfast. Ya know, before the non mom in us starts to not give a shit, and we just throw Apple Jacks at them as they dash out the door. Preach🙌🏻.
The first of this three part bread series is a one bowl wonder for Strawberry Bread🍓🍞. I haven't made this in years, and I forgot how delicious and easy it is. It contains some whole wheat flour which gives it a healthy flavor. It really is the perfect hybrid of a bread and a muffin. While strawberries are considered more of a Spring/Summer gem, this bread is the perfect way to use them this time of year. By marinating the berries in sugar, thereby drawing out the juices for maximum sweetness, we can prolong their shelf life. If your berries are indeed lacking in flavor, toss them with the sugar a day ahead. This will increase flavor for sure.
- One and a half cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1 stick melted butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup EACH white and whole wheat flour
- Half tsp baking soda
- Quarter tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- Optional half cup chopped walnuts
- Optional granola to put on top, say a third of a cup.
- Toss berries with half cup of the sugar. Let sit room temp at least an hour to overnight.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs. Add melted butter and the fantastic pink syrup from the berries.
- Then add the dry ingredients, stir well but gently. Carefully fold in berries and nuts.
- Spread batter into a greased and floured loaf pan. Top with granola if desired. Bake in a 350 oven for 50 min or until a tester is clean.
- Cool on a wire rack in pan at least 30 min before flipping over. Slice and enjoy!
You can freeze slices in plastic wrap and put inside school lunches the night before or morning of. It alleviates some of the guilt at getting right back into bed to watch a Bravo marathon. Oh please, who are we kidding?? We stopped feeling guilty years ago😉. Older is wiser.
❤️, the 🐝